Removing the canon mounts.

Following in the footsteps of the Red 5 build, I’ve decided to remove the inaccurate cannon plant on details and inaccurate canons themselves.

Removing this from the kit is pretty labor intensive. Lots of sanding. You have to be careful to not sand off too much. It’s easy to do.

I will be using Falcon 3D Parts replacements for the removed detail. The quality is great and it’s spot on to the ILM model.

Deagostini Millennium Falcon Update

For awhile, all you great subscribers to this page, have seen mostly X-Wing builds. So, here’s a change of pace.

Here’s my Deagostini Millennium Falcon. I haven’t touched this thing in a while. That’s because it’s a huge project. The most daunting question I keep asking myself is “Where am I going to put it?” I’ve decided, once again, to go the ILM route and display it the way it was meant to be displayed, in a flight mode configuration and supported the way ILM did it.

Here’s the mount I’ve come up with. It’s a modified projector mount from Amazon. There was some modification involved. I had to enlarge the mounting holes on the arms, remove the swivel mount (which was quite involved). Then I had to make a trip to Lowes to get 3/8 threaded stock and nuts and washers.

As you can see in the pics, I still have to cut down the threaded stock. The biggest drawback of doing this… No interior detail. The mount encroaches in the area where the interior insert goes. The ILM model didn’t have it and I guess mine won’t either.

A Different Approach.

Why Revell made the upper fuselage of their X-wing for separate pieces, I have no idea.

With my Red 5 build, I basically waited until the end to put these pieces in place. Not this time.

Since I’m correcting the weird stepped panels anyway, I have to do the same thing on the three forward fuselage pieces. So, I decided to glue the three pieces to the lower fuselage half. I made sure that I lined up the upper panel lines. (This is a nightmare of you wait until the of your build, as I found out.) You need to remove the protrusion that extends from the main upper fuselage part. This is the part with the cockpit, droid area, etc… It doesn’t serve any purpose any way. Take your handy dandy razor saw and cut it off.

I have the pieces attached to the lower fuselage half. I will end up rescribing a lot of this area due to removing the inaccuracies and smoothing out filler at the join areas.

Reworking the Cockpit.

Modified and Primed Cockpit

The Revell cockpit is pretty bad. I removed a lot of the moulded on details. I’m in process of adding the hoses, actuators and whatever else I think will look good on it.

With a quick coat of Tamiya printer gray, it doesn’t look too bad.

Correcting the fuselage

I don’t know why Revell did it, but the put what appears to be overlapping panels under the canopy down the side of the upper and lower half of the fuselage. The filming models were flat with panel lines scribed into the plastic.To fix this, I used 220 grit and paper and smoothed out the overlapping panels. I then scribed new panel lines. The result is amazing. Now this looks correct.

Post X-Wing build photos

A quick run down/recap with what I did on this build.

This is the Revell 1/29 kit. Overall it’s not a bad kit, but it’s not that great either. It needs some help to be a respectable representation of an ILM miniature. I could have really gone to town on this model, but if I did all of the aftermarket stuff available and at the rate I build, it would be another year before I finished it.

Here’s what I did :
Falcon 3D Parts Plant on cannon mounts
Falcon 3D Parts cannons
Falcon 3D Parts canopy
Falcon 3D Parts Pilot figure
Scratch built additional details in the engine bays
Added hoses to the cockpit
Added canopy actuators to the cockpit
Removed the molded on engines and reworked them to better represent the ILM model
Added additional detail to the aft section

Overall, I think it turned out good. I’m my worst critic. There was a lot of inspiration from many Facebook groups that kept me going on this build.

Some armament

It was a challenge, by the canons are on!

The installation of the Falcon 3D Parts cannons to their plant on detail proved to be a little tricky.

It involves drilling the plant on part and installing a pin. Then drilling an alignment hole in the cannon. This gives the canon some thing more to attach to than just the raised base on the mount.

Falcon 3D Parts Cannons Installed

Overall, I think it looks great. I’m on the fence if I would want to tackle this again on my next X-Wing build.

Blue Leader Progress

While waiting for glue to dry on the Red 5 build, I decided to move over to the Blue Leader build that had been sitting forlorned on the side table.

Falcon 3D Parts.

I recently received my shipment from Falcon 3D Parts. If you haven’t ordered update pieces from Falcon 3D Parts, you’re really missing out on some fantastic stuff.

The part I was going to tackle is the area on the aft side of the S-foils underneath the engines. Revell’s details aren’t accurate and really lacking detail. Additionally, the kit has you sliding the part into a recess.

Comparison of the kit parts to the Falcon 3D Parts.

In actuality, these parts are plant on details. So, the first thing that needs to happen, is the recess needs to be filled in. Using Evergreen sheet styrene and using the kit part as a guide, I created an insert that fits into the recess.

Styrene fill in.

The styrene was a little bit thicker than the depth of the recess. This was easily fixed by sanding the insert until it was flush with the surrounding area. Any gaps were filled and the area was sanded to remove any access filter.