BIG UPDATE!

Today will be progress report with the X-Wing.

308 Bits inlets

The inlets are drop in replacements to the inaccurate kit inlets. Although too late for this build, they will be used in the next build “Blue Leader”.

308 Inlets

Engine Mounting and Finishing

Revell inaccurately mounted the engines to the aft nacelles. To correct this, the engines must be cut off and reworked to accurately represent the ILM model.

Engines

This is the kit engine mounting.

The Results:

After the engines were remove from the nacelle, the excess plastic removed from the forward part of the engine. This left a hole that required plastic card stock to fill. Once drive the card stock was sanded to shape. The required a few applications of filler and some re-contouring to return the front of the engine back to shape. I discovered that the front of the engine isn’t a perfect circle. I corrected it the best I could. It really doesn’t matter as that will be pressed up against the nacelle and will not be seen. As you can see in the picture above that I painted the engines gunmetal. Once I was satisfied with the engine, I stripped off the gunmetal paint using Model Master Airbrush Thinner and a toothbrush.

Tamiya Insignia White base coat is lacquer based paint and is very tough. I didn’t have to worry about striping it off with the thinner. This is the result after stripping:

Engines Removed2

Once all four engines were stripped. I started the weathering process using various shades of pastels ground into a power. (Black and Rust) to give the engine a “used universe” look.

Test fit:

Engines Removed3

Final Result:

Once the pastels were applied. I very lightly misted Testors Dullcoat onto the engine to seal the pastels. I’ve learned a a “misting” will keep the weathering in tact. Too much will cause it to disappear, resulting in having to do all the weathering again.

Engines Removed4

The engines turned out as I was hoping. I am very happy with the final result. These will look great when applied to the X-Wing.

Aft Nacelle Detail

Revell left a lot of nothing to the aft side of the nacelles. There is a lot of detail here that is represented on the ILM models that Revell decided not to include.

8358502_orig

Looking at the picture above you can see detail that is present on the Hero models that Revell left out. One thing you will notice is that the aft nacelle is actually recessed with the detail inset into it. The Revell kit isn’t like that. To fix it requires major modification or aftermarket parts, such as the nacelle kit from Falcon3DParts (Link here).

For this build, I cheating and just did “plant-on” details. Using sheet styrene, I replicated the missing pieces for the aft nacelle.

Aft Nacelle

Canopy/Windscreen

The Revell kit is actually more of a toy than it is a serious model kit. This is evidenced by all of the working features of the kit, removable landing gear, opening and closing gear doors, etc… The canopy is no exception. The canopy has a hinge molded on to the canopy. Of course, this isn’t on the ILM model. The kit canopy is a pre-painted clear piece. The ILM models didn’t have any clear plastic (glass) due to glare concerns. Departing from accuracy, I am leaving the glass in mine. Let just say this is the “1997 Special Edition” canopy.

If you have ever worked with clear plastic parts, they tend to be a little more fragile when it comes to cutting and modifying them. Using extreme care, lots of masking tape and a razor saw, I managed to remove the hinge from the canopy WITHOUT breaking or scratching the visible clear parts.

Canopy

There were some fine scratches on the canopy. Most likely to the manufacturing process or packaging. Using Macguire’s PlastX polish I buffed out the canopy. It’s not very visible in the photo, but it’s a lot better that it was. (Take my word for it. )

Canopy1

Until the next update…

MTFBWY